MEET #2782 SHANE GRIFFIN
Designer/Director/Animator • Dublin
Born and raised in Dublin, WNW Member #2782 Shane Griffin is a premier designer and director, having worked with top clients like The New York Times, Disney, Microsoft, Toyota, and ICAD. Formerly the Head of Motion Design at ManvsMachine, this ADC Young Gun is now enjoying his new life as a freelancer, putting out work like this. We had a quick talk with Shane about freelancing in Ireland and his mam's understanding of what he does for a living.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
I've been Freelancing approximately just over a year.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
Strangely enough, most of my ideas come when I leave the studio, on the way home on the bus, in the shower, people always get good work out of me on the second day!
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
I like to work, I get agitated when I'm doing nothing creative. On the contrary, I live in Ireland and the weather is awful, so I like to get away every couple of months! So lets say 3 Months : 2 Weeks. An idealistic leisurely lifestyle.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
I don't think so? My Mam thinks everything I do is fantastic, but I approach most of my work with her in mind, so I'm aiming to please. Maybe I'm doing a good job, or maybe she's just too polite!
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
When Clarence Boddicker says "Bitches, leave" In Robocop 1. Flawless piece of cinema. It's not even supposed to be funny.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Planning my retirement, usually. I've a keen interest in fashion, tech, and music, so I do a lot of brushing up on culture and buying stuff I don't need.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I had an EP out once when I was a musician many moons ago, also I have extremely stretchy skin, I'm pretty sure that's not a talent though, but it freaks people out. I'm fluent in my native tongue of Gaelic too, which has zero benefit, but sounds funny.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
It's nice to be nice, so be polite, and work hard!
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
My friend just got a Beagle puppy last week, and started an Instagram account for him. Probably the most amazing dog over all time. @Honestgable