MEET #486 MIKEY BURTON
Designer • Chicago, Illinois
WNW Member #486 Mikey Burton is a part-time designer, part-time illustrator, and full-time freelancer. Mikey has worked for a range of clients that include Converse, ESPN, Target, The New York Times, Time Magazine, and Esquire, among others. He is also an ADC Young Gun. Mikey offered some priceless advice to his fellow freelancers: "Please start wearing pants, you’re making us all look bad."
1. How long have you been freelancing?
This will be my 5th year as a full-time freelancer.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
Morning is when I do all my problem solving. The first hours before lunch are always my most productive time. The rest of the day I’m just mindlessly moving pixels around.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
Let’s base it on my actual work week. I work Monday through Friday, no work on Saturday and usually a half day Sunday. 5.5 to 1.5
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
Finally! Ever since I started doing editorial illustration, it has been very easy to open up a magazine and say "look, I drew this"
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
I was really racking my brain for something obscure and cool for this, but honestly all I can think about is that part in Billy Madison when he dances to Culture Club for no reason.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
Instagram (does that count as a website?), tumblr and Netflix
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Unwindulax… or errands.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
If I do, it's hidden to me.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Please start wearing pants, you’re making us all look bad.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?