MEET #4516 JON BURGERMAN
Illustrator • Brooklyn, NY
WNW Member #4516 Jon Burgerman is a UK-born, Brooklyn-based artist who has collaborated with the likes of Nike, New Era, Puma, Sony, Coke, Pepsi, MTV, Levis, BBC, and Microsoft. The style of his work is instantly recognizable for its playfulness, and it commands attention both on the page and in public performance. Burgerman considers himself a "purveyor of doodles." He spoke to WNW about summoning a rabbit from his creative hat.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
About 14 years! Or if you're from the UK tax board about 11 years.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
You never know when the 'magic' will strike. You rummage around in the hat looking for that damn rabbit and it's nowhere to be seen. So you sit down, start to do something else and out the furry fellow pops. I think I get good ideas either very early in the morning or very late at night.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
50-50, and not knowing which is the working and which is the not working is best.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
I drew them a diagram. They still didn't understand.
So then I commissioned some illustrator friends to draw them a diagram.
Then I had to request some changes.
And then some more changes, I wanted it to 'Pop' more.
Then I changed my mind and used the original image they made.
I told my parents this story and then they understood.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Worry about not working, sadly.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I can sort of play the ukulele, though rarely receive requests to do so.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Stay calm, work hard, be nice, pay attention, be brilliant, be bold, have fun!