MEET #6315 GABRIELA ALFORD
Designer • New York, NY
WNW Member #6315 Gabriela Alford just started freelancing at the start of 2015 after leaving the full-time world. She separated the two different lifestyles with a nice, long vacation. Gabriela's designs are always vibrant and enchanting; they make us feel like we're on vacation ourselves. We spoke to the New York-based creative about the shift to freelancing. Gabriela also shares some freelancing advice that she's quickly picked up along the way: Freelancing is great because you have the freedom to make your own schedule. Take advantage of that, and take time to do you.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
Not that long - I left a full-time position last October, took a long vacation and came back and started freelancing at the beginning of 2015.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
I find some of the best ideas hit me at the last minute or under pressure, when I have to problem solve on the spot.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
Probably around 70/30 - I think it’s really important to have a good work/life balance. We should all be taking breaks/vacations at least 3 times a year. Maybe it’s more 60/40...
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
I think so, they definitely try to! They’re very supportive.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
Bridesmaids - the whole thing.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
Netflix, NYMag, and NYTimes - specifically the real estate section.
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Travel, see friends, go to museums, explore the city, walk a bridge
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I’m really good at helping friends justify purchases.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Freelancing is great because you have the freedom to make your own schedule. Take advantage of that, and take time to do you.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
The cheap ticket to Mexico that I just bought.